Saturday 21 July 2012

Download Festival - BLACK SABBATH


So for those of you who don't know me...Black Sabbath are idols of mine! Huge Huge love for everything they have ever done, and Ozzy Osbourne - I worship the man like he's a God! This, however, was the first time I have seen them (not through lack of trying!) So my excitement was over whelming, a tear almost came to my eye as they started playing, and I had to take regular breaks from jumping around to baske in what was happening! This was THE musical highlight of my life to date! 
[Unfortunatly writing for a magazine withdraws me from swooning and just letting my hands orgasm on the keys]
And to top it off, I ended up with Ozzy's water bottle after the show! :D Pride and Place atop my book shelf.

BLACK SABBATH

A black veil covers the main stage to the masses, adding total mystery to what Black Sabbath had in store.
After a long wait the veil finally falls and with a huge cheer the minimalist stage is presented; a drum kit, a couple of relatively small amps and a microphone make for a “return to roots” feeling set up.
Ok, we were all excited about a complete Black Sabbath line up, but with Bill Ward pulling out in late May, it fell upon Ozzy’s drummer Tommy Crufetos to sit in. However, this still left us with three of the most important figures in heavy metal....right there...a few feet in front of me...oh my!
Opening with the supernatural ‘Black Sabbath’ from their self titled album 42 years ago, Ozzy and crew are evidently as hyped as we are for their return to Donington.
Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler stood fairly motionless throughout the set, like true gents, letting their musical talent speak for itself while Ozzy, with his wiggly run, used the full stage to engage with his army of metal followers.
The set was packed with absolute brilliance, a journey through the creation of heavy metal; ‘N.I.B’, ‘Snowblind’, War Pigs’, ‘The Wizard’, the list goes on! All a reminder that without these guys the world of metal would be a whole different place.
Ozzy Osbourne reminds us that Tony Iommi is “the real Iron Man” and the crowd roar with heart-warming respect for the guitar legend.
The Birmingham boys leave the stage and the masses take a chance to breathe while awaiting the inevitable encore. When they return; the intro to ‘Sabbath Bloody Sabbath’ builds up to the enormous ‘Paranoid’. A perfect finisher for truly one of the best moments of my life, what better way for Download to celebrate their 10year anniversary? Sabbath...We Love You!

No comments:

Post a Comment